Reference code(s): LMA/4249
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: EAST END MISSION
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.97 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church
In 1885 the Wesleyan Methodist Church established its first Mission at Saint George's Church, Cable Street, Shadwell, with the Reverend Peter Thompson as Superintendent. The Church aimed to combat the poverty and squalor of the East End of London with a combination of evangelism and social work. The Mission at Saint George's rapidly expanded and new Missions were opened at Stepney, Mile End, Bethnal Green and Tower Hill. Free meals were handed out during hard winters, medical care was provided and events were organised for children including trips to the sea-side, penny films and Christmas treats. The Mission also campaigned on political issues, particularly for temperance and the closure of Music Halls. Articles on such issues appeared in the monthly magazine of the Mission - the 'East End' and later the 'East End Star'.
Following the foundation of the welfare state after the Second World War the Mission shifted the focus of its social work. Saint George's was converted into a centre for the care of homeless men and the Mission as a whole developed its support for immigrant communities, single parents, the disabled, the unemployed and those in inadequate housing. A care home for the elderly was established in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex and a campsite opened at Lambourne End in the Hainault Forest, Essex. A Social Studies Centre was opened to provide voluntary placements for Sociology students.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of East End Mission [formerly the Wesleyan Mission East] including Quarterly minutes, 1886-1980; Executive Committee minutes, 1938-1973; Finance Committee minutes 1957-1961; General Purposes Committee minutes, 1960-1971; Combined Trustees' minutes, 1942-1966; Christian Service Centre Committee minutes. 1961-1964, Centenary Committee minutes, 1984-1986; Sunday School Council minutes, 1917 - 1943; Slate Club General Committee minutes, 1903 - 1916; issues of 'The East End Magazine' 1894 - 1904; issues of 'The East End Star', monthly newsletter of the London East End Mission, 1928 - 1961; issues of 'The Star', East End Mission newspaper, 1961 - 1992; issues of 'Quest and Conquest: the Journal of the East London Mission', 1928 - 1930; 'The Tuberculous Homeless Alcoholic' by Eugene W. Morse, 1978; 'Zebra Project: A Bow Mission Project. The First Ten Years', 1985; booklet '1885-1985 East End Mission - Centenary Year', 1985; file of images used to illustrate Mission publications, 193- - 194-.
Records of United Methodist Free Church Third London Circuit, including Quarterly minutes, 1868-1889; Trustees' meeting minutes, 1863-1873; Sunday School teachers' meeting minutes, 1872. Records of Bethnal Green Circuit, including Quarterly minutes, 1881-1893.
Records of Saint George's, Cable Street including register of baptisms,1839-1911; Leaders' Meeting minutes and accounts, 1839-1957; Committee minutes, 1875-1879; Lay Mission Committee minutes, 1872-1885, Young Men's Bible Class minutes. Records of Stepney Central Hall, Commercial Road (formerly 'Seamen's Chapel'), including Committee minutes, 1887-1882; Leaders' Meeting minutes, 1908-1962, 'Spitalfields Project' report, 1992. Records of Lycett Chapel, Mile End Road, including register of baptisms, 1872-1947; Leaders' Meeting minutes, 1925-1962; programmes and flyers; photographs of Chapel interior. Records of Pigott Street, Limehouse, including United Methodist Free Church Chapel Trust Committee, 1878-1915; Pigott Street Mutual Improvement Society minutes, 1883-1884. Records of Gordon Hall, Globe Road, Mile End, including register of baptisms, 1838-1958; register of marriages, 1915-1953, and Leaders' Meeting minutes, 1868-1922. Records of Edinburgh Castle, Rhodeswell Road, including register of baptisms, 1934-1959; income journal, 1948-1959; expenditure journal, 1948-1949, and service of commemoration for Dr Thomas Barnardo, 1955. Records of Bethnal Green Central Hall (Approach Road), including Trust deeds and related papers; notices for opening and dedication.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
In sections: A: East End Mission Circuit, B: United Methodist Free Church London Third Circuit, C: Bethnal Green Circuit, D: Saint George's, Cable Street, E: Stepney Central Hall, Commecial Road, F: Lycett Chapel, Mile End Road, G: Old Mahogany Bar, Graces Alley, H: Pigott Street Chapel, Limehouse, I: Gordon Hall, Globe Road, J: Edinburgh Castle, Rhodeswell Road, K: Bethnal Green Central Hall, Approach Road.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1999 and 2014.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
For record of more Methodist churches in the East End of London see ACC/1850 (Poplar Circuit), ACC/1926 (Whitechapel Circuit) and LMA/4224 (North East District).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009