Reference code(s): GB 1753 UWA YPS
Held at: University of Westminster
Title: York Place Ragged School
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 1 box
Name of creator(s): York Place Ragged School | London
York Place Ragged School was founded in 1864 by the philanthropist and educationist Quintin Hogg (1845-1903), inspired by his observation of the poor in London. With Arthur Fitzgerald Kinnaird (1847-1923, later 11th Baron Kinnaird), he rented rooms in York Place (formerly Of Alley), off the Strand, for a boys' school, initially a day school, which subsequently began to open in the evenings. Hogg was himself involved in teaching the boys. Another of Hogg's Eton friends, the Hon Thomas Henry William Pelham (1847-1916), was also involved in its inception. The Strand premises were gradually expanded, and a boys' home opened in 1866. The school was associated with a mission room. Later initiatives also catered for girls. By 1869 the institution had more spacious premises at Castle Street, Long Acre. York Place was retained as a home for young women. Hogg, who was engaged in various philanthropic and educational enterprises, also founded the Youths' Christian Institute (later known as the Young Men's Christian Institute). The removal of this Institute to larger premises in Long Acre in 1878 marked its separation from the Ragged School, which ceased when the Board Schools made such institutions less necessary. The missionary work and boys' homes continued under others, but Hogg himself was increasingly absorbed with his Institute.
Scope and content/abstract:
Printed annual reports, 1867-1869, 1871, of the York Place Ragged School, Mission, and Boys' Home, comprising first, second, fourth and fifth reports, the first with a loose insert on the new home for boys; view of frontage of premises in Of Alley, c1867.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Open, subject to signing the Regulations for Access form.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copies may be supplied, for research use only, unless copyright restrictions apply or the item is too fragile to be copied. Requests to publish original material should be addressed to the University Archivist.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
The reports were formerly Ref: P52a-d; the photograph, Ref: I/A4/P1-2.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Created by the institution.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
The University of Westminster Archives also holds records of Hogg's Youths' Christian Institute (Ref: UWA YCI) and its successor Regent Street Polytechnic (Ref: UWA RSP). Pelham's obituary appears in The Polytechnic Magazine, Jan 1917, and Lord Kinnaird's in The Polytechnic Magazine, Feb 1923.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rachel Kemsley as part of the RSLP AIM25 project. Sources: Ethel M Hogg, Quintin Hogg: a Biography (Archibald Constable & Co Ltd, London, 1904), pp 49-61, 72-4, 79, 92-7; The Polytechnic Magazine, 20 May 1896, pp 247-9; The Polytechnic Young Men's Christian Institute Syllabus and Prospectus 1888-1889, p 13, reprinting an article from The Times, 23 Apr 1888.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Dec 2001