Reference code(s): GB 0074 H71/NE
Held at: Royal Free Hospital Archives Centre
Title: New End Hospital
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 8 linear metres
Name of creator(s): New End Hospital
Archway Group Hospital Management Committee
New End Hospital was originally founded as an institution in 1800 by the Hampstead Board of Guardians: part workhouse, part casual ward and part infirmary. It was rebuilt in 1845. Until the outbreak of World War One its patients included the unemployed, the destitute, unmarried mothers and their children, with the casual ward being used for the homeless and destitute, and the infirmary for psychiatric patients. From 1914-1918 the institution was used for returning soldiers who were wounded or shellshocked. After the war ended, the Guardians modernised the institution and changed the name to New End Hospital; it was taken over the by London County Council in 1930. It gradually became recognised as a hospital for acutely sick patients, and gained especial renown as a centre for endocrinology, largely owing to the pioneering work of Jack Piercy, Surgeon Superintendent 1932-65. On the inception of the National Health Service in 1948, New End was passed to the North-West Metropolitan Regional Health Board and the Archway Group Hospital Management Committee. It transferred to the Royal Free Group in 1968, and remained in use as a hospital until 1986, when the profits from its sale were used to fund the redevelopment of Queen Mary's Maternity Home, Hampstead.
Scope and content/abstract:
The archives of New End Hospital, Hampstead, comprising series of administrative and patient records, registers, photographs and records of education and training, 1914-1981, comprising:
Administrative Records, notably Medical Superintendent's reports, 1926-1930, containing details of births and deaths, accident and emergency admissions and summaries of operations performed; Medical Committee minutes, 1968-1973 and correspondence, 1969-1974; Archway Group Hospital Management Committee Annual Reports, 1948-1962; Fire Drill Instruction Reports, 1942-1981; Chaplain's Journal, 1965-1977, containing record of services and hospital visits; Planning Committee minutes, 1963-1967;
Matron/School of Nursing records including registers of nurse education and service, 1902-1938; Nursing Staff Registers, 1947-1971;
Patient records including Registers of Births, 1914-1915, 1920-1953; Register of Baptisms, 1920-1958; Maternity Registers, 1939-1953; Consultant's case books, 1931, 1934, 1936; Death Registers, 1930-1967; Admission and Discharge Register 1937-1938; Operation Registers, 1941-1952; Post Mortem Registers, 1930-1964, 1974; Mortuary Registers, 1949-1986;
Ephemera including photographs, ward signs, labels and plaques.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Papers arranged according to originating department.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright is held by the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
The majority of the New End records were transferred to the Royal Free Archives Centre when the hospital closed in 1986; others were given at later dates by individual donors. A large number of patient case notes were destroyed by administrators. Additional New End Hospital records can be consulted at the London Metropolitan Archives. Papers of the New End Planning Committee, 1963-1967 were deposited by Mrs Cecil Symons, 1986. The records were transferred along with the Royal Free Hospital and associated collections from the Royal Free Hospital Archives Centre to London Metropolitan Archives in 2013.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in December 2013.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
An Illustrated History of the Royal Free Hospital by Lynne A Amidon, published by the Special Trustees of the Royal Free Hospital, London, 1996.
Archivist's note: Compiled Jan 2001, revised by Alan Kucia as part of the RSLP AIM 25 Project.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), 2nd edition, 1999 and National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997
Date(s) of descriptions: Created 30 Jan 2001, revised Nov 2001 and May 2014.