AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

COURT OF COMMON COUNCIL: BARBICAN DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): COL/CC/BRD
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: COURT OF COMMON COUNCIL: BARBICAN DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Date(s): 1957-1983
Level of description: subfonds
View parent record
Extent: 0.7 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Corporation of London

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Barbican Committee was established by the Court of Common Council on 3 October 1957 and was renamed the Barbican Development Committee from 16 January 1975. The Committee was disbanded by resolution of the Common Council of 3 November 1983, with effect from January 1984. When it was first set up in 1957, the Committee's remit was to implement the redevelopment by the Corporation of London of the 25.05 acres of land south of the former street known as Barbican (which became Beech Street following redevelopment). Initial instructions to the Corporation's project architects, Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, were limited to preparing detailed proposals for this area, but subsequently the firm was instructed to collaborate closely with the City Planning Officer in the development of the area to the north of what became Beech Street as well. Large portions of both areas were then still derelict following enemy action during the Second World War. Chamberlin, Powell and Bon reported to Common Council on 28 May 1959 on both areas, and the report was referred to the Barbican Committee for consideration, with input from other Corporation Committees. From then on, the Barbican Committee was responsible for the redevelopment of both areas. From the Committee's renaming in 1975, its responsibilities were confined to the completion of the building work, and its responsibility for the management of all the completed residential premises was passed to the newly formed Barbican Management Committee with effect from 1 April 1975.

On the abolition of the Barbican Development Committee, its responsibilities for the Barbican Phase V (including the Barbican Centre) construction passed to the Barbican Centre Committee (COL/CC/BRC) with effect from January 1984. At the same time, the Barbican Development Committee's responsibilities relating to the final accounts relating to Barbican Phase V and other unresolved building contracts were transferred to the Barbican Contracts Working Party (COL/CC/BRW).

The Barbican development included large blocks of residential flats, as well as new premises for the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, the City of London School for Girls, Barbican Trade Centre and the Barbican Centre (referred to in the Committee records as the Barbican Arts Centre). The residency at the Barbican Centre of the Royal Shakespeare Company (1982-2002) and the London Symphony Orchestra was envisaged from an early stage, and both organisations were involved with the Committee in the planning of the Barbican Centre.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Barbican Development Committee, Court of Common Council, comprising minutes, 1957-1983. Please note some of these records are closed.

The Committee's minute books contain administrative records of the oversight of the project. In common with all Corporation of London Committees, the minute books contain records only of decisions taken, and not details of arguments or debates which led to those decisions.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

In sections according to catalogue.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Corporation of London Records Office.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For material relating to the Barbican, see COL/CC/BRA, BRC, BRD, BRR, BRV, BRW and CLA/072.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
February 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"