SAINT CHARLES' HOSPITAL
|Reference code(s)||: H28/SC|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT CHARLES' HOSPITAL|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1.28 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Saint Charles' Hospital | 1930- x St Marylebone Infirmary | 1881 - 1923 x St Marylebone Hospital | 1923 - 1930|
Saint Charles' Hospital was built as Saint Marylebone Infirmary situated in the Ladbroke Grove area of North Kensington. The Prince and Princess of Wales opened the hospital in 1881. Its name was changed to Saint Charles' Hospital when it was transferred from Saint Marylebone Board of Guardians to the London County Council in 1930. In 1948 it became part of the National Health Service and came under the control of the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board and the Paddington Group Hospital Management Committee. From 1982 it formed part of the Paddington and North Kensington District Health Authority. In 1992 it became part of Parkside NHS Trust.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Saint Charles' Hospital, including clinic records, 1951-1955; Matron's report books 1887-1936; Nurses' report books 1905-1925; Salaries and gratuities books 1884-1911; Probationers' later student nurses record books 1919-1950; group photographs of nurses 1901-1906; photographs of School of Nursing and Nurses Home -1970.
Also Saint Marylebone and Western General Dispensary reports, 1929-1947.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged according to a classification scheme for hospital records: General Hospital Administration (A), Patients' Administration (B), Finance Office (D), Endowments (E), Related Documentation (Y) and Prints and Photographs (PH).
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
For records relating to the administration of the hospital between 1881-1930 see the records of Saint Marylebone Board of Guardians (ref. St. M.BG). For the period 1930-1948 see the minutes of the L.C.C. Central Public Health Committee and its Saint Charles' Hospital Sub-Committee (ref. LCC/MIN/2612-2615). For a plan and survey of the hospital buildings prepared by the L.C.C. Architect in 1929 see LCC/AR/CB/3/1. For reports on the hospital by King's Fund Visitors 1949-1965 see A/KE/735/41/1-2 and A/KE/738/46. For admission and discharge registers 1891-1943 see St. M.BG/176/1-42 and St. M.BG/177/1-15. For registers of deaths 1884-1934 see St. M.BG/178/1-3. Registers of baptisms 1889-1983 have been catalogued as P84/SCH/1-3.
For further information concerning the history of the hospital see A.R. Neate The Saint Marylebone Workhouse and Institution 1730-1965, Saint Marylebone Society 1967, B. Curle Saint Charles Hospital 1881-1981; a Century of Service and The Survey of London Vol. XXXVI.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"