AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

BRITISH HOSPITAL FOR MOTHERS AND BABIES

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): H14/BMB
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: BRITISH HOSPITAL FOR MOTHERS AND BABIES
Date(s): 1905-1984
Level of description: subfonds
View parent record
Extent: 8.8 linear metres
Name of creator(s): British Hospital for Mothers and Babies x The Home for Mothers and Babies

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Home for Mothers and Babies opened in two converted houses in Wood Street, Woolwich on 11 May 1905. Its objects were, "(1) to enable women to be attended in their confinements, either in the Hospital or at their own homes, by Gentlewomen, all of whom have received previous training in General Nursing", "(2) to promote the training of Gentlewomen as District Midwives", "(3) to lengthen the customary period of training for District Midwives". The inspiration for its foundation came from three well educated and devoutly religious women, Miss Alice Gregory, Mrs Lelia Parnell, and Miss Maud Cashmore. Miss Gregory became honorary secretary to the hospital, Mrs Parnell was the first Matron, and Miss Cashmore became Senior Sister. On Mrs Parnell's death in 1931, Miss Cashmore succeeded her as Matron.

The original hospital had beds for twelve in-patients. Midwives also attended outpatients in their own homes. Patients were charged fees according to their means. In 1915 an antenatal clinic was started. Midwifery pupils with at least a year's experience of general nursing were admitted for a minimum of six months training. When pupils had completed their training, they were expected to work as district midwives. A building fund was started to raise money to build a new and larger hospital.

In 1912 a proposal was received from the British Lying-In Hospital, Holborn, for the amalgamation of the two institutions. This was formally approved by the Charity Commission on 29 January 1915. The British Lying-In Hospital closed in May 1913. The Home for Mothers and Babies was renamed the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies and was placed under the control of a newly constituted Managing Committee with representatives of both institutions. In practice it continued much as before with the same objects, the same methods, and the same staff, but enriched by the endowments of the British Lying-In Hospital.

A site in Samuel Street, Woolwich was purchased in 1914. The first stone of the new building was laid in 1920 and the first stage of the new hospital was opened in March 1922. The second stage of the building was completed in 1929. An important part of the work of the hospital was the holding of both antenatal and postnatal clinics.;The hospital was badly damaged by bombing in 1940. An evacuation hospital was set up in Pednor House, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, which was loaned by the Ministry of Health. The Ministry then insisted that the administration of the hospital should be handed over to Buckinghamshire County Council. Rather than submit to this condition, the evacuation hospital was moved in March 1941 to a privately owned house, Moatlands, situated at Brenchley in Kent. Moatlands was purchased in 1944.

Miss Gregory and Miss Cashmore retired in October 1945 after forty years at the hospital. In 1948 the hospital was taken over by the National Health Service and became the responsibility of Woolwich Group Hospital Management Committee. Moatlands was vacated in 1953 when the beds were transferred to Saint Nicholas Hospital, Plumstead. The hospital was transferred to Greenwich and Bexley Area Health Authority in 1974 and to Greenwich Health Authority in 1982. It closed in 1984.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies, Woolwich, London, including Home for Mothers and Babies Executive Committee minute books, 1904-1915; Managing Committee and Advisory Committee minute books, 1915-1972; annual reports, 1906-1970; diaries kept by Alice Gregory, secretary, comprising a record of events in the hospital, including the admission, delivery and discharge of patients (usually, except in the later diaries, naming the patients), visits to the hospital, clinics, lectures and services in the chapel, with lists and memoranda concerned with midwifery pupils, fund raising events, such as flag days and sales, and presents received by the hospital, 1905-1945; letter book, 1939-1945; papers relating to founding of hospital, amalgamation with British Lying-In Hospital and purchase of Samuel Street site, 1905-1929; admission registers, 1947-1958; case books, 1905-1948; maternity register, 1949; medical report books, 1933-1947; out-patients' case book, 1939-1946; record of district midwifery practices, 1906-1915 and financial records, 1905-1961.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records are arranged as follows: A = Administration, B = Patient's Records, C = Midwifery School, D = Financial Records, Y = Related Documentation.

Conditions governing access:

These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also ref H18: Woolwich Group Hospital Management Committee, which was responsible for running the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
February 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"