WANDSWORTH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, BRIAR WALK, UPPER RICHMOND ROAD, PUTNEY, WANDSWORTH
|Reference code(s)||: LMA/4102|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: WANDSWORTH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, BRIAR WALK, UPPER RICHMOND ROAD, PUTNEY, WANDSWORTH|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 0.15 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Presbyterian Church of England|
In 1879, the Presbytery purchased and occupied church buildings (now called Saint Margaret) located in Putney Park Land, which had formed the private chapel of the Granard Estate. The Church was therefore initially known as the Granard Presbyterian Church. This remained the place of worship until 1897 when the church moved to buildings on the corner of Briar Walk and Upper Richmond Road.
In 1941 a bomb destroyed all the halls and a third of the church. Rebuilding of the church and new halls was completed in 1957. In 1946 the church amalgamated with Wandsworth Presbyterian Church, Merton Road and became known as Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church. In 1968 the spire was removed and the tower was capped off. At the same time, the manse which had stood next to the church was sold and replaced by a house in Fairdale Gardens.
In 1972 the church became known as Putney United Reformed Church following the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The last service to be held took place in February 1996.
Scope and content/abstract:
Marriage registers for Wandsworth Presbyterian Church, Briar Walk, Putney, 1915-1944.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1998 (B98/202).
See also LMA/4103 for Wandsworth Presbyterian Church, Merton Road; LMA/4022, LMA/4309 and LMA/4380 for Putney United Reformed Church (which merged with Wandsworth and Putney Presbyterian Churches) and LMA/4392 for Wandsworth Presbyterian Church.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"