WYCLIFFE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, PHILPOT STREET, STEPNEY
|Reference code(s)||: N/C/40|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: WYCLIFFE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, PHILPOT STREET, STEPNEY|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1.3 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Congregational Church of England and Wales|
The Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney, was founded in 1642 on Philpot Street.
Christ Church Congregational Church, Cranbrook Road, started in an iron building in 1895, mainly through the work of Robert Pettigrew. It was formally constituted in 1896. In 1906 it was joined by the members of Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney. Christ Church had changed its name to Wycliffe in 1904, in anticipation of this union. The Stepney church was sold, and in 1907 the united congregation built a new Wycliffe on the Ilford site.
From: 'The borough of Ilford', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 249-266.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney, including register of baptisms, 1850-1899; volume containing minutes of Church meetings, register of collections, register of marriages and register of baptisms, 1873-1906; volume containing minutes of deacons meetings, minutes of Church meetings and minutes of Organ Committee, 1849-1877; volume containing minutes of deacons' meetings and minutes of Church meetings, 1877-1888; volume containing minutes of deacons' meetings, Sunday School meetings and minutes of Church meetings 1889-1896; minutes of Church meetings, 1895-1906; minutes of deacons' meetings, 1896-1905; volume containing minutes of deacons' meetings and minutes of special meeting of deacons with representatives of Wycliffe Congregational Church, Ilford, 1905-1907; annual report of Church activities, 1901; rolls of Church members, 1827-1891; financial accounts, 1848-1907; minutes of Wycliffe Chapel Restoration Fund, 1873, with catalogue of sale of fancy articles in aid of Restoration Fund; minutes of committee of Wycliffe Christian Association, 1893-1902; minutes of meetings of teachers of Girls' Sunday School and Sunday School Excursion Sub-Committee, 1849-1868; minutes of meetings of teachers of Boys' Sunday School, 1843-1849; minutes of meetings of teachers of Sunday Schools, 1849-1907; register of burials in Wycliffe Chapel Burial Ground, 1831-1902, with index of graves in Wycliffe Chapel Burial Ground and list of charges.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 20 August 1964 (AC/64/48) and 18 March 1965 (AC/65/24).
For Christ Church Congregational Church Ilford see N/C/41
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"