TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, MARYLAND POINT, STRATFORD
|Reference code(s)||: LMA/4326|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, MARYLAND POINT, STRATFORD|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 0.16 linear meters|
|Name of creator(s)||: Presbyterian Church of England|
Trinity Presbyterian Church, Leytonstone Road, Maryland Point, was founded in 1863 by Andrew Black, of the United Presbyterian Church, who became the first minister (1863-1875). A hall was built in 1864 and the church itself in 1870. It was a brick and stone building in the Gothic style, with a spired angle tower. After early difficulties Trinity flourished under Alexander Jeffrey (1888-1906), the building debt being cleared and communicants numbering over 400, including many seamen. The leading layman at this period was an engine-driver, Alexander Keir. From 1906 the church was declining, and in 1941 it was closed, the members joining East Avenue church, Manor Park, which then took the name Trinity. The Leytonstone Road building, later used as a factory, was destroyed by fire in 1953. The church hall still survived, as a factory, in 1966.
From: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Stratford, including Court of Session minute book, 1936-1940; Deacons' Court minute book, 1938-1942 and Church magazines, 1884-1906, including records of baptisms, marriages and deaths, as the original records were destroyed by enemy action in 1941.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Administrative records: LMA/4326/A.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"