AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

JAMES STREET INFIRMARY AND SAINT SAVIOUR'S GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): O/531
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: JAMES STREET INFIRMARY AND SAINT SAVIOUR'S GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Date(s): 1719-1880
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Saint Saviour's Grammar School, Southwark
Saint Olave's and Saint Saviour's Schools Foundation

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1715 the Westminster Hospital was founded to help the poor and needy. It opened as a Public Infirmary in 1719, situated first in Petty France, then Chapel Street and finally James Street. A hospital building was not opened until 1834. For a more detailed history of the Westminster Hospital please see H02/WH.

Saint Saviour's Grammar School, Southwark was founded in 1559 as a free grammar school. In 1896 it became Saint Olave's and Saint Saviour's Schools Foundation, which supports Saint Olave's Grammar School for boys and Saint Saviour's and Saint Olave's Church of England School for Girls.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Public Infirmary, James Street, Westminster (Westminster Hospital): printed account of Trustees proceedings including abstracts of accounts, 1719 and Saint Saviour's Grammar School, Southwark: printed programme of day to mark 318th anniversary including brief prospectus of school, 1880.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

2 booklets.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: City of London

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1947. AC/57/010.

Allied Materials

Related material:

The records of the Westminster Hospital can be found at H02/WH.

Records of the Saint Olave's and Saint Saviour's Schools Foundation, 1572-1991, can be found at the Southwark Local Studies Library, 211 Borough High Street.


Publication note:

Carrington, R.C. Two Schools: A History of the St Olave's and St Saviour's Grammar School Foundation and its Schools. McCorquodale Printers Ltd., London, 1971.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"