H. AND G. SIMONDS: SALES RECORDS
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 ACC/2305/60-3|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: H. AND G. SIMONDS: SALES RECORDS|
|Level of description||: Collection
View parent record
|Extent||: 6.17 linear metres (extent for all 6 H and G Simonds subfonds combined).|
|Name of creator(s)||: H and G Simonds Ltd | brewers|
The Brewery was founded in Reading in 1768 by William Simonds. The brewery moved to Broad Street in 1782 and Bridge Street in 1790. By late nineteenth century the brewery had established overseas branches to supply army garrisons. The business was incorporated in November 1885 as H and G Simonds Limited.
Acquisitions: Took over Hewitt and Son, Victoria Brewery, Chain Street, Reading, c.1900; George Crake, Tamar Brewery, Tamar Street, Morice Town, Devonport, Devon, 1919; Mackeson and Co. Ltd, Hythe Brewery, Hythe, Kent, and South Berkshire Brewery Ltd 1920; Arthur Cooper Ltd., wine and spirits merchants, 1929; Ashby's Staines Brewery and Wheeler's Wycombe Breweries Ltd. 1930; Newbury Brewery Co. Ltd., Castle Brewery, Northbrook Street, Newbury, 1931; W.R. Rogers Ltd., Jacob Street Brewery, Bristol 1935; J. Adnams and Son, Eagle Brewery, Broadway, Speenhamland, Newbury, 1936; Cirencester Brewery Ltd., Cricklade Street, Cirencester, Glos, M.P. Hunt, Lakeman's Brewery, Brixham, Devon, and J.L. Marsh and Sons Ltd., Town Brewery, Bryanston Street, Blandford Forum, Dorset, 1939; R.R. Bowley and Co. Ltd., North Wiltshire Brewery, High Street, Swindon, Wilts, 1945; John May and Co. Ltd, The Brewery, Brook Street, Basingstoke, Hants, 1947; Phillips and Sons Ltd., Dock Road Brewery, Dock Road, Newport, Gwent, 1949; R. Grant and Sons, Torquay, Devon, South Devon Co. and C.W. Blundell (Plymouth) Ltd., 1951; Pool and Son Ltd., Penzance, Cornwall, 1953; Octagon Brewery, Martin Street, Plymouth, Devon, 1954.
H and G Simonds Limited acquired a substantial interest in East African Breweries Ltd., Nairobi, Kenya, 1948. They also merged with Farsons of Malta to form Simonds-Farsons 1929 and with Malta Export Brewery Co. to form Simonds-Farsons-Cisk in 1948. The Company entered into a trading agreement with Courage and Barclay Ltd. in 1959 and merged with that company in 1960 to form Courage, Barclay and Simonds Ltd. The Bridge Street Brewery closed in 1979.
Scope and content/abstract:
Sales records of H and G Simonds Limited, brewers, including weekly cellar stock books; annual stock books; financial and sales records; brewing book; beer production records; daily brewing records; and monthly barrels racked.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Records of H and G Simonds arranged into 6 sub-fonds:
ACC/2305/60-1: Corporate records;
ACC/2305/60-2: Financial records;
ACC/2305/60-3: Sales records;
ACC/2305/60-4: Staff records;
ACC/2305/60-5: Premises records;
ACC/2305/60-6: General records.
Conditions governing access:
Restricted access: please see staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited as part of an accession of records from Courage Barclay and Simonds, 1969-1988.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
November 2009 to February 2010
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"