SAINT BARNABAS, TEMPLE FORTUNE: HENDON, BARNET
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 DRO/103|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT BARNABAS, TEMPLE FORTUNE: HENDON, BARNET|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 2 linear metres (96 files).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Barnabas, Temple Fortune, Hendon | Church of England|
Temple Fortune was served from the 1890s by a mission under the control of St Mary's, Hendon which conducted services at 24 Hendon Park Row. In 1915 its functions were taken over by a London Diocesan Home Mission, which held services in a temporary building in Cranbourne Gardens, serving also as a church hall. The mission district became the consolidated chapelry of St Barnabas, Temple Fortune in 1923, taken from the parishes of St Mary, Hendon and St Mary, Finchley. The original church of 1915 was designed by J S Alder and had a nave with apsidal sanctuary, south porch and east vestries. The chancel, part of the nave and the Lady Chapel of a new church designed by E C Shearman were built at its north end in 1932-4 but it was not until 1962 that a new aisled nave, replacing that of J S Alder, was dedicated. The architect was R B Craze and although the building was much plainer than had been intended in 1932 it matched the north end in scale, the colour of the brickwork, and the simple Gothic inspired design. The church was closed in August 1994 and subsequently declared redundant. The parish area was absorbed into the parish of Golders Green.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Barnabas, Temple Fortune, Hendon, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, and church services; papers relating to the construction of the church including plans; faculties and inventories relating to church fixtures and fittings; papers relating to the maintenance of the church hall and vicarage; minutes of Vestry, Parochial Church Council and other Committee meetings; Social Society papers; parish magazines and brochures.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
DRO/103/001-023: Parish Registers; DRO/103/024-096: Other Parish Records.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1995 and 1997.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"