SAINT JOHN OF JERUSALEM, HACKNEY: LAURISTON ROAD, HACKNEY
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P79/JNJ|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT JOHN OF JERUSALEM, HACKNEY: LAURISTON ROAD, HACKNEY|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 4.9 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St John of Jerusalem, Hackney | Church of England|
The Chapel of Saint John of Jerusalem, a chapel of ease in the ancient parish of Hackney, was built in 1806 on land which later became the site of Saint Andrew's Mission Room in Well Street. In 1835 it was assigned as the Parish Church of South Hackney. The present church of Saint John of Jerusalem was substituted for it and was consecrated in July 1848. The church has this dedication as the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem held large possessions of land in the parish in medieval times.
South Hackney Parochial Schools were established by Deed of Settlement of 31 March 1834. Girls and Infant Schools were added to the boys school and later combined as a Mixed and Infant School. In 1939 the school was reorganised into a Junior Mixed and Infant School. The school premises were destroyed in the Second World War. A new building was built on the site and reopened in the autumn of 1956. It was renamed Saint John of Jerusalem Church of England Primary School and continues to date in Ainsworth Road, Well Street.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint John of Jerusalem, Hackney, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; orders of service; registers of church services; Parochial Church Council minutes and papers; papers relating to staff; papers regarding parish boundaries; papers relating to the benefice; papers regarding the maintenance of the church building and the church hall; financial records; Vestry minutes; papers of parochial charities and parochial schools; and parish magazines.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the incumbent on 8 June 1983. Additional parish records deposited by the incumbent on 28 October 1992.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"