SAINT MARY, HARROW: CHURCH HILL, HARROW
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 DRO/003|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT MARY, HARROW: CHURCH HILL, HARROW|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 5.77 linear metres (154 files).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Church of England | Parish of St Mary, Harrow|
In medieval times Saint Mary's was one of the most important churches in Middlesex. There is a twelfth-century tower with tall octagonal lead spires. The nave was re-built in the thirteenth-century when the rector was Elias de Dereham, the canon of Salisbury. Various additions and embellishments took place under John Byrkhead, rector from 1437 to 1468, then restored heavily in the nineteenth century. Many brasses including a small brass of John Lyons, founder of Harrow School.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Harrow, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; marriage licences; papers regarding election of churchwardens; churchwarden's papers regarding rates, financial accounts and the maintenance of the church building and churchyard; vestry minutes and notices; papers of the parish beadle; papers of the Overseers of the Poor including financial accounts and papers regarding rating, valuation, settlement, vagrancy, bastardy, apprenticeship, the workhouse and the militia; papers relating to the Surveyors of the Highways; papers relating to social clubs including the Temperance society; papers relating to parish schools; maps of the parish and historical notes.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Records are arranged in 12 sub-fonds: Incumbent; Churchwardens; Vestry; Constable; Overseers; Surveyors of the Highways; Societies; Charities; Schools; Miscellaneous; Maps; Historical notes.
Conditions governing access:
Files DRO/003/A/01/001-020 and DRO/003/A/02/001-009 are not available for consultation, please use microfilms.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in two accessions; in April 1961 and May 1989.
For other records relating to this parish see references ACC/0590 and ACC/0936.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"