SAINT ALFEGE, GREENWICH: GREENWICH CHURCH STREET, GREENWICH
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P78/ALF|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT ALFEGE, GREENWICH: GREENWICH CHURCH STREET, GREENWICH|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 3.77 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Alfege, Greenwich | Church of England|
Greenwich was a riverside settlement lying south of the River Thames in Kent, later part of London. Its parish church of Saint Alfege was a mediaeval foundation, erected to commemorate the martyrdom of Archbishop Alfege by the Danes (in 1012). After the roof collapsed in 1710 the church was rebuilt in the Baroque style by Nicholas Hawksmoor in 1711 to 1714 with money granted under the Fifty New Churches Act (1711), and consecrated in 1718. It stands near the junction of Greenwich Church Street and Greenwich High Road.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Alfege, Greenwich, including baptism registers (1616-1975), marriage registers (1616-1989), burial registers (1615-1914), banns register (1874-1992), confirmation register (1947-1980), church service registers (1964-1988), volume relating to parochial charities (1816), inventory of workhouse stock, parish magazines (1937, 1939), and histories of the church.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
Open access, except for the overseers of the poor inventory of stock etc in the workhouse, which is not fit for production. Parish registers must be consulted on microfilm.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in February 1994; with a further accession in 2010.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"