LONDON SCHOOL OF JEWISH STUDIES
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 LMA/4180|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: LONDON SCHOOL OF JEWISH STUDIES|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 11.33 linear metres (photographs, plans, 225 files volumes and documents).|
|Name of creator(s)||: London School of Jewish Studies | 1998- |
Jews' College | 1855-1998
The London School of Jewish Studies has until 1998 been known as Jews' College, and is one of the oldest Anglo-Jewish institutions in existence. It was founded by Chief Rabbi Nathan Adler and opened on 11 November 1855. The College has always had very close links with the Chief Rabbinate, as many Jewish leaders, including Lord Jakobovits and Sir Israel Brodie have graduated from the institution.
The formation of the College was planned on 4 January 1852 at a public meeting in Sussex Hall. Chairmanship of the meeting was under Sir Moses Montefiore who was the head of the Sephardic community in England and the generally recognised head of the Anglo-Jewish community. When the College opened three years later with 33 pupils it was "for the purpose of affording a liberal and useful Hebrew and English education to the sons of respectable parents, and training of ministers, readers and teachers" (A.M. Hyamson, Jews' College London 1855-1955). Thus the college was to combine a Jewish day school and a ministerial training college.
Jews' College was first located at 10 Finsbury Square, which was a house in one of the most fashionable parts of London. It was also where many prosperous London Jews lived. Since then the College has had five more locations. In 1881 new premises were found in Tavistock Square, in a house previously owned by Charles Dickens. Soon after in 1900 the college moved to Queen's Square in Guildford Street, then to Woburn House in Upper Woburn Place in 1932, to Montague Place in 1957, most recently to Albert Road, Hendon in 1984. The London School of Jewish Studies is still at this location existing as a recognised department of the University of London.
When the college first opened scholars included boys aged 9-15 years, however at the turn of the century higher education had taken priority at the college and the day school gradually ceased to exist. Many of the changes at the college emerged after 1945, for example the Rabbinical Diploma class, the Hazzanuth class, and the Faculty for the training of teachers were established. This broadening in the scope of teaching lef to teachers being trained to university level, and other diplomas, degrees and postgraduate courses being offered. The college has now developed into Britain's only institution of higher Jewish learning with accreditation under Jewish auspices. Since the war, the college has also been the major supplier of rabbinical and communal leadership.
The academic head of the College was originally the headmaster, but the title later changed to become principal. The first headmaster was Louis Loewe. Within the 150 years of the existence of the college there have been many problems arising including financial difficulties, changes of premises, lack of students and sometimes community support. However the London School of Jewish Studies has become one of the central institutions for the intellctual and spiritual growth of the community.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Jews' College (later known as the London School of Jewish Studies), including constitution; minutes of meetings of the College Council and various committees; minutes of annual general meetings; student attendance registers; student admission registers; reports on students; papers relating to exams; agreements relating to property; financial accounts; papers of staff; papers relating to teaching; plans; photographs; printed material. Also papers relating to the Library including meeting minutes and reports, agreements, correspondence and centenary celebrations.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The archive has been arranged into two sub-fonds: LMA/4180/JC: Jews' College and LMA/4180/LB: Jews' College Library.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in mutliple accessions between 1998 and 2010.
For further information please consult the LMA Information Leaflet: "Records of the Anglo-Jewish Community at London Metropolitan Archives"; available to download here: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/Visitor_information/free_information_leaflets.htm (URL correct Feb 2010).
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
Description prepared in March 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"