SAINT JAMES, FORE STREET, EDMONTON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 ACC/3218|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT JAMES, FORE STREET, EDMONTON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 0.01 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St James, Edmonton | Church of England|
St James Edmonton Boys School
Mission work was carried out in rented halls in Edmonton until a church was built in 1850 on Fore Street. A parish was assigned to this church in 1851. It was first dedicated to Saint Pancras but this was later changed to Saint James. The church carried out active mission work, opening several mission halls in the area.
In 1847 John Snell left 1 acre in his will, to be the site of a Church of England school for the poor. A school for boys was therefore opened by Saint James's church in 1851. Girls' and infants' departments were added in 1871. It was rebuilt in 1963.
From: 'Edmonton: Churches' and 'Edmonton: Education', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 181-187 and pp. 196-203 (available online).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Parish of St James, Edmonton, comprising photocopied register of banns, 1952-1955; and St James Edmonton Boys School, comprising penny bank ledger, 1920-1921.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in two series: Registers (ACC/3218/001) and School (ACC/3218/002).
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Donated to the Archive in May 1993.
See also DRO/075 for more records of this parish.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"