AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

ALL SAINTS, EDMONTON: CHURCH STREET, ENFIELD

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/040
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: ALL SAINTS, EDMONTON: CHURCH STREET, ENFIELD
Date(s): 1557-1968
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.97 linear metres (67 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Saints, Edmonton | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of All Saints at Edmonton is first mentioned in records between 1136 and 1143. It was granted to Walden Abbey from 1136 till 1538; and thereafter was granted to Saint Paul's Cathedral. A vicarage was endowed by 1189 with a small plot of land and small tithes; and the advowson descended with the rectory. Two daughter churches were given parishes in 1851 due to overcrowding at the Edmonton church. Several mission churches were established as the population in the suburbs increased, many of which became separate parish churches, including Saint Mary's in 1883, Saint Peter's in 1898, Saint Michael's in 1901, Saint Aldhelm's in 1903, Saint Stephen's in 1907, Saint Martin's in 1911, and Saint Alphege's in 1954. The church building incorporates stonework from the 12th century, although most of the building dates to the 15th and early 16th centuries. The churchyard contains the tombs of writer Charles Lamb (d. 1834) and his sister Mary.

In 1615 Sir John Weld of Southgate erected a small chapel on his own land for the use of his family and local people. It was consecrated in 1615 on condition that all users took Easter communion at All Saints church and that the vicar of Edmonton should consent to baptisms and marriages there. The chapel was assigned a district chapelry in Southgate in 1851. The chapel was demolished in 1862 and replaced in 1863 by Christ Church, Southgate.

The church of Saint Paul, Winchmore Hill, was built in 1828 as a chapel of ease to All Saints, Edmonton. The bishop of London authorized marriages to be performed there in 1838 but the chapter of Saint Paul's Cathedral would not allow it to become a parish. In 1851, however, Winchmore Hill became a district chapelry.

From: 'Edmonton: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 181-187. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of All Saints, Edmonton, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage and church services; Surveyors of Highways rate books; registers of baptisms, marriages and burials at the Weld Chapel; and parish magazines.

Also register of baptisms for Saint Paul's Chapel, Winchmore Hill; and registers of baptisms for the district of Saint Alphege.

COVERING DATES OF PARISH REGISTERS DEPOSITED Baptisms: Nov 1558 - July 1859 Marriages: Jan 1558 - Mar 1892 Burials: Nov 1557 - Dec 1882

C 1901-1925

C 1834-1842

C 1558-1925 M 1558-1892 B 1557-1882

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in 6 sub-fonds:- A: Incumbent; E: Surveyors of Highways; G: Weld Chapel; H: St Paul's Chapel; J: District of St Alphege and P: Printed Materials.

Conditions governing access:

DRO/040/A/01/001-024 are not available, please use microfilms.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in 1958, with further deposits in 1980, 2006 and 2008.

DRO/004;ACC/1521;B06/088;B08/196

Allied Materials

Related material:

For further records relating to the Parish of Edmonton (1705-1770) see ACC/1544. For some poor law records see Acc/1544.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"