SAINT MARGARET, UXBRIDGE: WINDSOR STREET, HILLINGDON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 DRO/010|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT MARGARET, UXBRIDGE: WINDSOR STREET, HILLINGDON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 6.7 linear metres (266 files).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Margaret, Uxbridge | Church of England|
St Margaret's in the township of Uxbridge was built possibly as early as 1200, and administered as a chapel of ease to the parish of Hillingdon. In 1842 the chapelry became a separate parish.
It was stated from the 1650s onwards that, although Uxbridge remained technically part of Hillingdon parish, the townspeople had always elected their own officers and maintained their poor independently of the parent parish. The Uxbridge Vestry appointed parish officials including constables, headboroughs, and ale-conners; and were responsible for poor relief and the management of the workhouse and almshouses. Source of information: 'Hillingdon, including Uxbridge: Local government', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 82-87. Available online.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Uxbridge, including registers of baptism, banns of marriage, marriage, and burials; registers of services; papers relating to parish boundaries; papers relating to endowments; Churchwardens' accounts; papers relating to the building and maintenance of the church, vicarage, parish room and church hall; inventories; legal documents relating to properties and land; Vestry minute books; Church Council minute books; papers relating to parish charities; St Margaret's Church School managers' minute books; papers of the Overseers of the Poor; historical notes relating to the church and parish; photographs; printed items such as orders of service, parish magazines, posters, flyers and parish booklets; visitor's books; and papers of church societies including the Uxbridge Bellringers.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/010/001-279).
Conditions governing access:
Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in two accessions, in 1964 and 2002.
See also ACC/1123.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"