SAINT ANN, BLACKFRIARS: CITY OF LONDON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P69/ANN|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT ANN, BLACKFRIARS: CITY OF LONDON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 12.7 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Ann, Blackfriars, City of London | Church of England|
The church of Saint Ann, Blackfriars, was established in 1538 to replace the church at the monastery of Blackfriars, which had been destroyed as part of the Dissolution. The church was burned down during the Great Fire of London in 1666 and was not rebuilt. The parish was united with Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe (P69/AND1).
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Ann, Blackfriars, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; Vestry minute books; papers of the Vestry clerk including letter books; Churchwardens' accounts and vouchers; papers of the Overseers; papers relating to parish poor relief including the workhouse; poor rate and tithe rate assessments; and papers relating to parish charities and schools. Some records relate to the united parish (with Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe).
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of these parishes (St Ann Blackfriars, St Peter Paul's Wharf, St Benet Paul's Wharf, St Mary Mounthaw, St Nicholas Cole Abbey and St Nicholas Olave) were deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates from 1902. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
United with mother church St Andrew by the Wardrobe (P69/AND1) along with the following other parishes: St Peter Paul's Wharf (P69/PET3); St Benet Paul's Wharf (P69/BEN3); St Mary Mounthaw (P69/MRY11); St Mary Somerset (P69/MRY12); St Nicholas Cole Abbey (P69/NIC2) and St Nicholas Olave (P69/NIC3).
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"