SAINT PAUL, KENSINGTON: ONSLOW SQUARE, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P84/PAU|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT PAUL, KENSINGTON: ONSLOW SQUARE, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 2.01 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Paul, Onslow Square, Kensington | Church of England|
Onslow Square was built between 1845 and 1865 on estate left by a wealthy seventeenth-century alderman Henry Smith. The architect of the church was James Edmeston. The exterior of the church is faced with Kentish rag and is basically Perpendicular in style with a distinctive slender spire. Saint Paul's was consecrated at Christmas 1860. One vicar, Hanmer Webb Peploe, whose incumbency was 1876-1909, made the church a noted centre of Evangelism. Memorial tablets include one to Sir Charles James Freake, who contributed most of the funds of the church and was the builder and developer responsible for the construction of the estate upon which the church stood.
In 1977 St Paul's united with Holy Trinity Brompton and the last service was on 1st May that year.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of St Paul, Onslow Square, Kensington, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; church service registers; staff records; papers relating to the benefice; records of the Parochial Church Council; papers relating to Saint Paul's Church Home; parish magazines and published sermons.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1981, 1993, and 2003.
See also P84/TRI2 for Holy Trinity Brompton.
Survey of London, Volume XLI, (1983), LMA Library reference 92.1 GLC.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"