SAINT PANCRAS, SOPER LANE: CITY OF LONDON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P69/PAN|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT PANCRAS, SOPER LANE: CITY OF LONDON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1.18 linear metres (63 production units).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Pancras, Soper Lane, City of London | Church of England|
History of the united parishes of Saint Mary le Bow, Saint Pancras Soper Lane, All Hallows Honey Lane, Saint John the Evangelist Friday Street and All Hallows Bread Street:
Saint Pancras Soper Lane is first mentioned in 1257. It was attached to the monastery of Christchurch Canterbury.
The parish of Saint Mary le Bow was united to the parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane and Saint Pancras Soper Lane in 1670, after the churches of All Hallows Honey Lane, Saint Pancras and Saint John were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and not rebuilt. The parish of All Hallows Bread Street was united to the parish of Saint John the Evangelist Friday Street in 1670.
The united parishes of Saint John and All Hallows were joined with the united parishes of Saint Mary, Saint Pancras and All Hallows Honey Lane in 1876. The church of All Hallows Bread Street was demolished in 1876. The church of Saint Mary remains a parish church.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Pancras, Soper Lane, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; Vestry minutes; Churchwardens' accounts; church rate assessments and poor rate assessments.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections representing sub-groups each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of all five parishes, including those of united parishes, have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since the 1920s. The most recent deposit was in 1997. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
St Mary le Bow (P69/MRY7).
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"