SAINT ANNE AND SAINT AGNES: CITY OF LONDON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P69/ANA|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT ANNE AND SAINT AGNES: CITY OF LONDON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 6.76 linear metres (213 production units).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Anne and St Agnes, City of London | Church of England|
The church of Saint Anne and Saint Agnes has also been known as Saint Anne, Saint Anne near Aldergate, Saint Anne in the Willows, and Saint Anne and Saint Agnes within Aldersgate. The church is on Gresham Street. It was first mentioned in records in 1137. The church was burned down and rebuilt in 1548; only to burn down again during the 1666 Great Fire of London. The parish was united with Saint John Zachary (P69/JNZ) in 1670 after the latter church had also been destroyed in the Great Fire. Saint Anne and Saint Agnes was rebuilt by Wren in 1676-1687. The church was damaged during the Second World War. In 1954 it was made a guild church.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
The main archive of the parish of St Anne and St Agnes dates from the 17th century, with parish registers (baptisms, burials, marriages, banns) from 1640, vestry minutes from 1679 and poor rate assessments from 1671. There are also records relating to parish charities and the parochial schools.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parochial schools.
Conditions governing access:
48 hours notice required for access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of the parish of St Anne and St Agnes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1899. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also Saint John Zachary (P69/JNZ) united with this parish.
In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of St Anne and St Agnes and St John Zachary was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests (St Anne and St Agnes, 1572-1723; St John Zachary, 1671-1734) have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/14-15, 57]. A schedule of deeds is available on the open shelves in the Reading Room. Please note that 24 hours' notice is required for access to records of the City Parochial Foundation.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"