SAINT OLAVE, JEWRY: CITY OF LONDON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P69/OLA2|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT OLAVE, JEWRY: CITY OF LONDON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 2.34 linear metres (96 production units).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Olave, Jewry, City of London | Church of England|
History of the united parishes of Saint Margaret Lothbury, Saint Martin Pomeroy, Saint Bartholomew by the Exchange, Saint Mildred Poultry, Saint Mary Colechurch, Saint Olave Jewry and Saint Christopher le Stocks:
The church of Saint Margaret Lothbury was first mentioned in the 12th century. It was destroyed in the Great Fire and was rebuilt in 1690. The parish of Saint Christopher le Stocks was united to Saint Margaret Lothbury on the demolition of the church in 1781. In 1839 Saint Bartholomew by the Exchange was added when its church was also demolished.
Saint Olave Jewry is first mentioned in 1181. It was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666, and united with the parishes of Saint Martin Pomeroy and Saint Mary Colechurch in 1670. Saint Olave was rebuilt by Wren in 1670-76, but was demolished in 1888 under the Union of City Benefices Act and the site was sold. Saint Mildred Poultry was united to Saint Olave's in 1871 and these combined parishes were united with Saint Margaret Lothbury in 1886.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Olave, Jewry, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; Vestry minute books; Churchwardens' accounts; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; poor rate books; and papers relating to parish charities and estates.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
To assist the user, the catalogue has been arrranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of St Margaret Lothbury and the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The most recent deposit was in 2006. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
United to Saint Margaret Lothbury (P69/MGT1).
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"