SAINT MATTHIAS, POPLAR: WOODSTOCK TERRACE, TOWER HAMLETS
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P88/MTS|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT MATTHIAS, POPLAR: WOODSTOCK TERRACE, TOWER HAMLETS|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1.47 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Matthias, Poplar | Church of England|
Poplar Chapel was founded by the East India Company as a chapel of ease to Saint Dunstan, Stepney (P93/DUN). In 1823 the new church of All Saints, Poplar (P88/ALL1) was consecrated and became a parish church for Poplar. The records of Poplar Chapel were transferred to All Saints' Church. The chapel remained in use and in 1867 it was consecrated as Saint Matthias Poplar and was given a parish.
Saint Matthias' Church was declared redundant in October 1977 and the parish was united with the Parish of Poplar.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Matthias, Woodstock Terrace, Poplar, including parish magazines; registers of baptisms, marriages and banns; church services registers; papers of parish charities; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes and financial records.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records P88/MTS/1-5 deposited 2 January 1963. Records P88/MTS/6-17 deposited 15 June 1967. Records P88/MTS/18-54 deposited by the Rector of St Anne, Limehouse, 28 June 1982 and 5 July 1982. Additional parish records P88/MTS/55-70 deposited by the incumbent on 14 January 1991.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"