SAINT JUDE, SOUTHWARK: SAINT GEORGE'S ROAD, SOUTHWARK
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P92/JUD|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT JUDE, SOUTHWARK: SAINT GEORGE'S ROAD, SOUTHWARK|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1.96 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Jude, Southwark | Church of England|
In 1849 the chapel of the Royal Philanthropic Society's School was purchased to become the Church of Saint Jude, Southwark. It was consecrated in 1850 and a parish was assigned to it from the parish of Saint George the Martyr, Southwark (P92/GEO). Saint Jude's Schools were built adjoining the church in Colnbrook Street.
In 1898 and 1899 Saint Jude's Church was rebuilt on an east - west alignment instead of north - south as formerly. The vestry of the original church was retained and used as an addition to the School.
Saint Jude's Church was declared redundant in 1980. The congregation now worship at the church of Saint George the Martyr, Southwark
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Jude, St George's Road, Southwark, including registers of baptisms, banns and marriages; church services registers; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; financial records including Churchwarden's accounts; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; maps of parish boundaries; photographs; parish magazines and orders of service.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records of St Jude, St George's Road, Southwark, deposited by the Vicar in the London County Record Office, 21 January 1954. Additional parish records deposited by the Priest-in-Charge in the Greater London Record Office, 12 December 1988.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"