AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

SAINT JAMES, HOLLOWAY: VICTORIA ROAD, ISLINGTON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/JS1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: SAINT JAMES, HOLLOWAY: VICTORIA ROAD, ISLINGTON
Date(s): 1839-1978
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.06 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Holloway | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint James was established in 1839 with the name Saint James the Apostle. The name was changed to Saint James in 1846. The church was constructed in 1837 in a neo-classical style, situated on Victoria Road (now Chillingworth Road). The building was damaged in 1944 by enemy action, and restored as a parish hall built inside the old church; the derelict roof remains. The parish united with Saint Mary Magdalene's in 1954.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St James, Holloway, Islington, including registers of baptisms, marriages and banns; preacher's book; Parochial Church Council minute books; and papers relating to church societies.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records of St James, Victoria Road, Holloway, Islington, deposited in the Greater London Record Office by the Vicar of St Mary Magdalene with St James, Holloway Road, 27 July 1981.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"