SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ANGELL TOWN, BRIXTON: WILTSHIRE ROAD, LAMBETH
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P85/JNA2|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ANGELL TOWN, BRIXTON: WILTSHIRE ROAD, LAMBETH|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1.14 linear metres (29 files and volumes).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St John the Evangelist, Angell Town, Brixton | Church of England|
The area known as Angell Town was originally farmland, developed for housing in the 1850s. The site of the church of Saint John the Evangelist was donated by Benedict John Angell Angell in 1852, while the building costs were met by William Stone of Herne Hill. The church was constructed by 1853, designed by Benjamin Ferrey in a Gothic style. A parish was assigned in the same year. A vestry was added in 1882. The building was damaged by fire in 1947 but was subsequently restored.
From: 'Brixton: The Angell estate', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 125-131.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint John the Evangelist, Angell Town, Brixton, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage and confirmations; minutes of the Church Council, minutes of the Sports and Social Club, inventory of parish buildings, and financial records.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
Open access. Original references (P--) or xerox copy references (R--) have to be ordered. Microfilms (X--) are available in the Reference Room.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records of St John the Evangelist, Wiltshire Road, Angell Town, Brixton, Lambeth, deposited by the Vicar in the London County Record Office, County Hall, SE1, on 12 January 1956 and 17 September 1958.
Records of St Catherine, Gresham Road, Brixton, Lambeth. For baptisms at this Church, c. 1895 - 1900 at least, see the baptism registers of St John, Angell Town, Brixton. It appears that the entries were copied up several years at a time, so that it is necessary to search the St John's registers for up to five years or so later than the date of the baptism at St Catherine's.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"