SAINT LUKE, LIMEHOUSE: BURDETT ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P93/LUK|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT LUKE, LIMEHOUSE: BURDETT ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 0.53 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St Luke, Limehouse | Church of England|
Saint Luke's originated in services held at the school of Saint Paul's, Bow Common, from 1865. The school was situated to the south of the parish of Holy Trinity, Tredegar Square, in a poor area full of houses for the working classes. Construction of a permanent church began in 1868 and consecration took place in October 1869. The architect was A.W.Blomfield.
During the Second World War, Saint Luke's was used by the congregations of two bombed churches: Saint Paul's, Bow Common (P93/PAU1) and Saint John's, Halley Street (P93/JN1). The parish was amalgamated with Saint Paul, Bow Common, in July 1951. From July 1944 to July 1951 the baptismal registers of Saint Luke's include entries for Saint Paul's, the Saint Luke's baptismal registers being continued in use for the united parish from July 1951 to July 1958. From July 1951 to July 1958 the marriage registers of Saint Luke's were used for the united parish. All the registers from Saint Luke's were closed in July 1958 when the congregation of the united parish of Saint Paul, Bow Common, and Saint Luke. Burdett Road, abandoned Saint Luke's church for the mission church of Saint Barnabas, which belonged originally to Saint Paul's parish. Saint Luke's church was demolished in 1961.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Luke, Burdett Road, Limehouse, comprising registers of baptisms, marriages and church services.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the vicar of St Paul, Bow Common in 1961; and by the vicar of St Dunstan's, Stepney, in 1955.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"