ALL HALLOWS, LOMBARD STREET: CITY OF LONDON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P69/ALH4|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: ALL HALLOWS, LOMBARD STREET: CITY OF LONDON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 4.6 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of All Hallows, Lombard Street, City of London | Church of England|
The parish of All Hallows Lombard Street is first mentioned in 1053. The church was rebuilt between 1494 and 1516, including the addition of the stone porch from the priory of Saint John of Jerusalem. The church burned down during the Great Fire of 1666; and was rebuilt by Wren between 1686 and 1694.
The united parishes of Saint Benet Gracechurch and Saint Leonard Eastcheap were united to the parish of All Hallows Lombard Street in 1864. The parish of Saint Dionis Backchurch was joined to All Hallows Lombard Street and united parishes in 1876. These united parishes were joined to the united parishes of Saint Edmund the King and Martyr and Saint Nicholas Acons in 1937 to form Saint Edmund the King and Martyr and united parishes, with Saint Edmund the King and Martyr as the parish church.
In 1937 the church was closed. The site was sold and the building demolished, with the proceeds going towards the construction of All Hallows, Chertsey Road and All Saints, Queensbury. The Lombard Street tower was reconstructed as part of All Hallows, Chertsey Road.
Some information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of All Hallows, Lombard Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; preachers' books; registers of church services; Vestry minute books; papers of the Churchwardens; accounts, correspondence and papers relating to sequestrations; papers relating to poor relief; church rate assessments; poor rate assessments; tithe rate assessments; Vestry clerk's annual parish accounts; and other papers relating to parochial charities.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Arranged in four sub-fonds: A: Parish Registers; B: Vestry and Parish Registers; C: Rate Assessments and Inhabitants Lists; D: Charities and Estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The most recent deposit was to the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, in 2001. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
United with St Edmund the King and Martyr (P69/EDK); Saint Benet Gracechurch (P69/BEN2); Saint Leonard Eastcheap (P69/LEN1); Saint Dionis Backchurch (P69/DIO) and Saint Nicholas Acons (P69/NIC1).
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"