SAINT JOHN ZACHARY: CITY OF LONDON
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 P69/JNZ|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: SAINT JOHN ZACHARY: CITY OF LONDON|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1.46 linear metres (213 production units).|
|Name of creator(s)||: Parish of St John Zachary, City of London | Church of England|
Saint John Zachary was referred to as Saint John the Baptist in a document of 1120. It was situated on Gresham Street. In 1180 the living was given to a man named Zacharie. The church was rebuilt in 1390. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London, 1666, and the parish was united with the parish of Saint Anne and Saint Agnes in 1670.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint John Zachary, Gresham Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; Vestry minute books; financial records of the Churchwardens and the Overseers; poor rate assessments and church rate assessments.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
48 hours notice required for access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of the parish of St Anne and St Agnes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1899. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also Saint Anne and St Agnes (P69/ANA) united with this parish.
In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of St Anne and St Agnes and St John Zachary was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests (St Anne and St Agnes, 1572-1723; St John Zachary, 1671-1734) have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/14-15, 57].
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"