AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

BILLINGSGATE CHRISTIAN MISSION AND DISPENSARY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/115
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: BILLINGSGATE CHRISTIAN MISSION AND DISPENSARY
Date(s): 1901-1990
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 19 production units.
Name of creator(s): Billingsgate Christian Mission x Billingsgate Christian Mission and Dispensary

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Billingsgate Christian Mission was founded in 1878. The mission incorporated the humanitarian aims of the former Billingsgate District Association with Christian missionary work within Billingsgate Fish Market. The dispensary was established in 1897 when the need for medical work within the market became evident. Free first aid treatment was offered to those engaged in or about the market and the mission was subsequently renamed the Billingsgate Christian Mission and Dispensary. The mission also trained nurses and missionary students prior to undertaking missionary work abroad until the mid-1950's.

Until 1890 the mission met at the Weigh House Chapel, 31 King Street. In this year the building work begun in July 1889 was completed and the mission moved into its own premises at 19 St Mary at Hill, opposite the market gates.

The mission was a registered charity (No. 225189) and was predominately funded by subscriptions and donations from companies and businessmen associated with the market. It was closed on 31 December 1990, the majority of its work and its income having been relocated with the Fish Market in 1982.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Billingsgate Christian Mission comprising annual reports and accounts with other financial records, 1901-90, photographs of the mission and dispensary ca. 1953 and an account of the work of the mission and dispensary ca. 1933.

Please note that these records are subject to a 50-year closure period. For further information please ask a member of staff.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.

Conditions governing access:

Restricted access: please see staff.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

The charity was handed over to the trusteeship of the Fishmongers Company in 1994, and the minute books and other documents are retained by them.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Other records of the Billingsgate Christian Mission and Dispensary were deposited at Guildhall Library on 19 May 1993. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"