WEST HACKNEY ALMSHOUSE
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 O/404|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: WEST HACKNEY ALMSHOUSE|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 0.01 linear metres|
|Name of creator(s)||: West Hackney Almshouse|
According to A History of the County of Middlesex: "The almshouses called Cooke's Rents, whose lease was shortly to revert to the lord, were conveyed in 1837 by W. G. Daniel-Tyssen to the select vestry of West Hackney, which vested the management in a committee of subscribers. Inmates were chosen in 1841, after the building had been repaired and renamed West Hackney almshouses. The site was compulsorily purchased for a school playground in 1885, whereupon new almshouses were opened in 1889 on the opposite side of what had become Northwold Road. Under a Scheme of 1890 the eight tenements might be occupied by single people or couples who had lived in West Hackney parish for five years or more, with preference for those reduced from better circumstances; they were to receive 3s. to 5s. a week but must already possess at least 3s. a week. Although no income was derived from the Eltham property, Anna Wilmot augmented the subscriptions by giving £500 stock in 1887. The charity had c. £1,003 stock and total receipts of £270 in 1893. The income was £336 in 1963, when a Scheme slightly altered the inmates' payments, and £2,849 in 1975, when £2,100 was contributed by West Hackney Parochial charities".
From: 'Hackney: Charities for the Poor', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 166-172. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22719&strquery=west hackney almshouse Date accessed: 29 July 2010.
Scope and content/abstract:
Deed of gift of Cook's Almshouses and conveyance of land in Stoke Newington to the West Hackney Almshouse.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in December 1973.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"