AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ALASSIO

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/404
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ALASSIO
Date(s): 1881-1998
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 22 production units.
Name of creator(s): St John the Evangelist Anglican Church | Alassio, Italy

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The church of St. John the Evangelist, Alassio was consecrated on 4th April 1883. A new church of the same name was built in 1927-1928 and the old church sold in 1932. In 1983 Mr A.M. Apostol was given charge of St. John the Evangelist by the Bishop in Europe for all matters non-ecclesiastical. The last service was held in the church in 1998 after which it was closed and sold.

Alassio was a popular tourist destination on the Italian Riviera, well known for having a large English expatriate community. As well as the Anglican church, they were served by a large lending library and tennis club. Writer and painter Edward Lear lived nearby for the last 16 years of his life; and both Edward Elgar and Kenneth Grahame visited and worked there.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the church of Saint John the Evangelist, Alassio, Italy, including transcripts of the church registers; registers of services; Church Council minutes; correspondence; and papers relating to the church building and fittings.

Please note that the correspondence is subject to a 30 year closure period.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English, French, German and Italian.

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

Restricted access: please see staff.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library by the Diocese in Europe in October 1987 (Ms 23626) and April 2000 (Ms 31816-823) and catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"