DURHAM CHEMICAL GROUP
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 CLC/B/112-046|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: DURHAM CHEMICAL GROUP|
|Level of description||: Collection
View parent record
|Extent||: 12 production units comprising 12 envelopes.|
|Name of creator(s)||: Durham Chemical Group|
Ouseburn Trading Company was formed in 1918. It changed its name in 1929 to Newcastle upon Tyne Zinc Oxide Company Limited, in 1947 to Durham Chemicals Limited, and then in 1956 to Durham Chemical Group. It had a plant in Birtley, Northumberland. Durham Chemicals Limited and Harrisons and Crosfield Limited each owned half of the shares in Durham Raw Materials Limited (see CLC/B/112-047). Durham Chemicals Limited owned 60.6% of Typke and King Limited.
In 1967 Harrisons and Crosfield acquired 97% of the shares in Durham Chemical Group Limited and the company became a subsidiary. In 1988 Durham Chemical Group became part of Harcros Chemicals Group.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Durham Chemical Group, including articles of association; annual reports; financial accounts; correspondence; list of products sold and historical notes on the company.
Access to records less than 30 years old (or records less than 70 years old which relate to staff) should be sought from Elementis plc (contact details may be obtained from a member of staff).
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Restricted access: please see staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of Harrisons and Crosfield and its subsidiary and secretarial companies were transferred to Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section between 1990 and 1998. The records were presented as a gift to the Library, except the minute books of some subsidiary companies which are held as a deposit. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
The Harrisons and Crosfield Ltd collection has been divided into 167 sub-fonds; CLC/B/112-001 to CLC/B/112-167. 001 to 016 are records relating to Harrisons and Crosfield (such as operational records, staff records, property records and so on), and 017 to 167 are the records of subsidiaries, plantations and associated organisations.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
November 2010 to January 2011.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"