AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

GALLOWAY AND PEARSON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/093
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: GALLOWAY AND PEARSON
Date(s): 1922-1984
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 13 production units.
Name of creator(s): Galloway & Pearson | stockbrokers

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

This firm of stockbrokers was founded in c 1870 by William John Galloway and Cyrus Tom Pearson as Galloway & Pearson, with offices at 75 Old Broad Street. The founding families continued to be represented amongst the partners until the late 1950s.

A service company, Gallus Services Limited, was established in 1979 to acquire all the fixed assets of the partnership and to provide the services required to maintain the stockbroking business. In 1984, Galloway and Pearson (and Gallus Services Limited) merged with WICO (W. I. Carr, Sons and Company (Overseas) Limited) to form WICO Galloway and Pearson Limited. WICO was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Exco International plc, who subsequently acquired a 29.9% stake in the new firm with an option to purchase the remaining 70.1%

Galloway and Pearson had premises: 75 Old Broad Street (1870-81); 3 Drapers' Gardens (1882-1910); 3 Drapers' Gardens and Warnford Court (1911 only) then 27G Throgmorton Street (1911-35); 1 London Wall Buildings and 27G Throgmorton Street (to 1940) then Warnford Court (1936-41); Warnford Court (1942-83); Warnford Court and 29 Throgmorton Street (1984).

WICO Galloway & Pearson Limited had premises: Warnford Court and 29 Throgmorton Street (1985), and Sherborne House, 119 Cannon Street (1986).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

The records of Galloway and Pearson, stockbrokers, comprise: deed of partnership and takeover agreements 1983-4 (Ms 38959-61); minutes 1966-84 (Ms 38962, 38967); correspondence regarding takeover 1984 (Ms 38963); accounts 1922-84 (Ms 38964-5) and option dealing books 1960-2 (Ms 38966).

PLEASE NOTE THAT PARTNERS' MINUTES (MS 38962) ARE SUBJECT TO A 40-YEAR CLOSURE PERIOD.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

Restricted access: please see staff.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

It is understood that the partnership kept no minutes prior to 1966, and that all clients' and jobbers' ledgers were destroyed when the firm's record-keeping was computerised in the 1970s. A surviving bank book dated 1874 of W Galloway in account with Robarts, Lubbock and Company, was passed to Coutts.

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records were presented to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 2007 by a former partner in the firm, and catalogued in 2008 by an archivist. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
November 2010 to January 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"