IRWIN HARRISONS AND WHITNEY INCORPORATED
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0074 CLC/B/112-089|
|Held at||: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: IRWIN HARRISONS AND WHITNEY INCORPORATED|
|Level of description||: Collection
View parent record
|Extent||: 36 production units comprising 6 folders and 30 envelopes.|
|Name of creator(s)||: Irwin Harrisons and Whitney Inc | tea traders|
Irwin Harrisons and Whitney Incorporated was registered in 1924 on the merger of Irwin Harrisons and Crosfield Incorporated (which was formed in 1914 on the merger of the New York branch of Harrisons and Crosfield Limited and A.P. Irwin and Company) and J.C. Whitney (tea importers and exporters).
Irwin Harrisons and Crosfield Incorporated were tea importers and exporters with branches in New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco. In 1944 the export trade was taken over by Harrisons and Crosfield (America) Incorporated (CLC/B/112-065). In 1978 Irwin Harrisons and Whitney became a wholly owned subsidiary of Harrisons and Crosfield. In 1979 it was restyled as part of Harcros Inc, a subsidiary of Harrisons and Crosfield (America) Incorporated (see CLC/B/112/MS37523-9).
For historical notes on Harrisons and Crosfield Ltd's shareholdings in the Company see CLC/B/112/MS37392. For staff lists see CLC/B/112/MS37341.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Irwin Harrisons and Whitney Incorporated, tea exporters and importers, including minutes of meetings; byelaws; correspondence; and financial accounts.
Access to records less than 30 years old (or records less than 70 years old which relate to staff) should be sought from Elementis plc (contact details may be obtained from a member of staff).
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Restricted access: please see staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of Harrisons and Crosfield and its subsidiary and secretarial companies were transferred to Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section between 1990 and 1998. The records were presented as a gift to the Library, except the minute books of some subsidiary companies which are held as a deposit. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
The Harrisons and Crosfield Ltd collection has been divided into 167 sub-fonds; CLC/B/112-001 to CLC/B/112-167. 001 to 016 are records relating to Harrisons and Crosfield (such as operational records, staff records, property records and so on), and 017 to 167 are the records of subsidiaries, plantations and associated organisations.
Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions:
November 2010 to January 2011.
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"
Related Placename Search
* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"