AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

NORTHWICK FAMILY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0076
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: NORTHWICK FAMILY
Date(s): 1315-1885
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.81 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Various.

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Harrow Manor belonged to the archbishops of Canterbury from the early middle ages until 1545 when Henry VIII forced Cranmer to sell the manor to him. Henry sold the estate to Sir Edward North. The North family sold the manor to the Pitt family, whence it came to Alice Pitt and her husbands, Edward Palmer and then Sir James Rushout. The Rushouts acquired the barony of Northwick in 1797. Harrow stayed in the family until the death of the 3rd Baron, Sir George Rushout-Bowles, in 1887. His widow left the estate to her grandson Captain E. G. Spencer-Churchill. He sold the land in the 1920s.

Harrow Manor described both the manorial rights over the whole area and the chief demesne farm in the centre of the parish. This was known as Sudbury Manor or Sudbury Court. The ownership of Sudbury Manor followed that of Harrow, hence the name Harrow alias Sudbury.

From: 'Harrow, including Pinner : Manors', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 203-211 (available online).

The Manor of Harrow Rectory alias Harrow-on-the-Hill originated in land owned by priest Werhardt in the 9th century. From 1094-1845 Harrow Rectory was a peculiar of the archbishopric of Canterbury within the deanery of Croydon. The rector had sole manorial jurisdiction over Harrow-on-the-Hill and Roxborough, and collected tithes from a large area. This was a prized position which attracted ambitious and important men, and the rectory house was accordingly fine and spacious. In 1546 the rectory was impropriated to Christ Church, Oxford, but in 1547 the college alienated the rectory, the advowson of the vicarage, and (from 1550) the tithes to Sir Edward North, lord of Harrow alias Sudbury Manor. The grant was made in fee farm in perpetuity, North paying the College an annual fee. North sublet the rectory and tithes while retaining the manorial rights, and enjoyed the rights and profits of the rectory. In 1630 the rectory was conveyed to George Pitt and thereafter descended with Sudbury Court Manor until 1807, when the rectory house and 121 acres of land north of it were sold to James Edwards; the remaining land becoming part of Harrow Park.

'Harrow, including Pinner : Harrow church', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 249-255 (available online).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Papers of the Northwick family relating to the manors of Harrow alias Sudbury and Harrow Rectory alias Harrow-on-the-Hill, including court rolls, financial accounts, rentals, surveys, papers relating to the livings and churches of Harrow and Pinner, papers relating to Harrow School, family papers including correspondence, and papers relating to property owned by the family in Bloomsbury, Shoreditch, the City of London, and Paddington.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The collection has been arranged in sub-series as follows:
ACC/0076-1-1: Rentals and Surveys;
ACC/0076-1-2: Court rolls of Harrow alias Sudbury;
ACC/0076-1-3: Harrow Manor and Parish;
ACC/0076-1-4: Court Rolls of Harrow Rectory alias Harrow-on-the-Hill;
ACC/0076-1-5: Accounts and Financial;
ACC/0076-1-6: Rentals and Surveys;
ACC/0076-1-7: Cover notes and other papers;
ACC/0076-1-8: Bloomsbury St George;
ACC/0076-1-9: Holywell Priory Shoreditch;
ACC/0076-1-10: City of London;
ACC/0076-1-11: Paddington;
ACC/0076-1-12: Non-Middlesex;
ACC/0076-1-13: Legal and Parliamentary;
ACC/0076-1-14: Harrow Church repair of chancel;
ACC/0076-1-15: Harrow School;
ACC/0076-1-16: Family;
ACC/0076-1-17: Business-Fire Insurance (County Fire Office).

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in April 1937.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also ACC/0507 and ACC/0512.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"