AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

BATEMAN FAMILY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0828
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection
Full title: BATEMAN FAMILY
Date(s): 1720-1860
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.38 linear metres (31 documents).
Name of creator(s): Bateman | family | of Brentford and Ealing

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Castle Bar Estate in Ealing was established in 1423 by Richard Barenger. In 1650 it was purchased by Sir William Bateman, who held other land in Ealing, and left to his descendants. William Bateman (d 1797) and his children William (d 1820) and Mary (d 1833) were all lunatics and the estate was disputed among Mary's heirs. The estate was bought by Francis Swinden in 1854. A three-storey mansion, called Castlebar House, stood on Castlebar Hill. It was built around 1641, but was dilapidated by 1855 when it was demolished. Tenants included Isabella Cunningham, countess of Glencairn; Lt-Gen Sir Frederick Augustus Wetherall (1754-1842) in 1818, and Sir Jonathan Miles in 1819.

From: 'Ealing and Brentford: Other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 128-131 (available online).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Bateman family relating to their property in Ealing, Elbow Lane (later Little College Street) in the City of London, Tottenham; and out of London in Chesham, Buckinghamshire; and Kimberworth, Yorkshire (this latter including coal mines).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The following original bundles had original numbers:- 3, 5-12, 14, 15, 18-24, 31. Intervening numbers were given to unnumbered original numbers to groups of documents found loose.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Gifted to the Archive in June 1963.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For papers relating to the Castle Bar Estate in Ealing see ACC/1028.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Records prepared May to September 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"