St Saviour's Infirmary Nursing School Register
|Reference code(s)||: GB 0100 KCLCA SSH/FP|
|Held at||: King's College London College Archives - click here to see details of the physical location of collection|
|Full title||: St Saviour's Infirmary Nursing School Register|
|Level of description||: Collection|
|Extent||: 1 volume|
|Name of creator(s)||: St Saviour's Infirmary Nursing School|
St Saviour's Union Infirmary, Marlborough St, Southwark, was the parish workhouse of the St Saviour's Poor Law Union, Southwark, from 1834-1921. In 1869, the parishes of Southwark, St George the Martyr and Newington, St Mary were added to the St Saviour's Union, and in St Saviour's Union was renamed Southwark Union in 1901. In 1921 the Infirmary became known as Southwark Hospital and, ten years later, when London County Council took over the running of it, the Hospital was renamed Dulwich Hospital. In 1964, Dulwich Hospital joined King's College Hospital Group.
Scope and content/abstract:
St Saviour's Infirmary Register of Assistant Matrons, Night Superintendents, Head Nurses, and Staff Nurses, -1931, including details of name, address, age, religion, date of entry, name and type of ward worked on, previous experience, remarks.
Access & Use
Language/scripts of material:
System of arrangement:
Arranged chronologically by date of entry.
Conditions governing access:
Records containing personal information about living individuals, are subject to the regulations of the Data Protection Act 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive Services, King's College London.
Removed from a variety of administrative stores in King's College Hospital by members of King's College Hospital Nurses League in the late 1970s, when they were kept in a variety of private homes until the transfer to the King's College London Archive in 1985.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by King's College Hospital Nurses League in 1985.
King's College London Archives holds student nurse records of: St Thomas's Hospital, [1950-1980] (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA TH/SN/FP); King's College Hospital School of Nursing, 1885-1998 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA KH/NL & K/NI/PR); Belgrave Hospital for Children Nursing School records, 1903-1950 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA BH/FP); Dulwich Hospital, 1917-1967 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA DH/FP); St Francis Hospital, 1949-1956, (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA SFH/FP); St Giles Hospital, 1931, 1952-1954 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA SGH/FP); Lewisham School of Nursing, 1897-1981 (Ref: GB0100 KCLCA DH/FP); New Cross Hospital, 1954-1965 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA NC/FP); Hither Green Hospital 1955-1967 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA HGH/FP); St John's Hospital, 1955-1969 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA SJH/FP); Thomas Guy and Lewisham School of Nursing, 1985-1992 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA TGL/FP); Nightingale and Guy's College of Nursing, 1991-1993 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA NG/FP); Guy's Hospital School of Nursing, 1949-1978 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA GHN/FP);
London Metropolitan Archives holds staff records, 1887-1920, and general administrative records, 1888-1948, of Dulwich Hospital; Dulwich Hospital holds staff records, 1893-1947, admission and discharge records, 1825-1872, and clinical and patients records, 1892-1970.
National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record
Sources: On-line Public Record Office and Wellcome Trust's Hospital Records Database at http://hospitalrecords.pro.gov.uk
Rules or conventions:
National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997; ISAD(G), Second edition, 2000.
Date(s) of descriptions:
June 2000. Revised June 2004
Related Subject Search
* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"
Related Corporate Name Search
* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"